About Duluth High School Football.
Education in Duluth was first mentioned in records around 1880, according to Flanigan's History of Gwinnett County, and was called Duluth Academy. It began with 59 students who were taught mathematics, science, and the classics. The first building was a frame structure on the site of the former Duluth Middle School at 3057 N. Peachtree Street. The land had been donated by Singleton Howell, son of Evan Howell, a successful merchant and farmer. In 1907, the frame building was moved to the front of the lot and replaced by a brick building. The first students graduated in 1912.
Purple and white were chosen as the colors and the wildcat was chosen as a mascot. In 1962, the original gymnasium was completed on donated land. The school buildings were further extended from 12 to 16 rooms in 1963, and to 18 in 1967. New football stands were constructed in 1966.
In 1969, 1971, and 1972, the football team claimed regional championships with North Georgia championships won in 1973, 1975, and 1980. A larger gym was completed in 1989. The old gym was used for physical education classes, additional basketball practice, and wrestling.
The school continued to expand throughout the 1990s as Gwinnett County grew and received National School of Excellence status in 1991, and in 1992 was recognized by Redbook Magazine as one of the "Nation's Best 140 Schools." A new field house with a weight room, coach's offices, media room, and locker rooms was completed in 2001. A stadium with new home stands and track was completed for the opening of the fall football season in 2002. The press box was named for "the voice of the Wildcats," State Representative Brooks Coleman. The old gymnasium built in 1962 was connected to a large new gym with indoor walking track, exercise room, coach's offices, and physical education classrooms.
By the start of the 2005–06 school year, the campus of Duluth High was brand new. The cafeteria was expanded and was flanked by landscaped courtyards featuring a circular bricked entrance to the new 600 building. The 400 Fine Arts building features a refurbished and enlarged choral room, band and orchestra rooms, and art facilities. The 300 Technology Building houses updated multimedia and computer labs. The four-story 600 Building includes the new main office, a 600-seat theater, and more than 60 classrooms for science, social studies, foreign languages, and special education.
In 2004 and 2005, Duluth students earned Hope Scholarship grants, and the success of its Advanced Placement program resulted in Duluth receiving the 2005 "Siemens Award for Advanced Placement for Georgia" bestowed by the College Board to schools showing excellence in math and science.
Duluth High School currently competes in the state's largest and most competitive region (7-AAAAAA ). Duluth High School has rivalries with Norcross High School and Peachtree Ridge High School. The Duluth-Norcross rivalry is one of the oldest in Gwinnett County. In January 2015, Bob Swank was named as the Head Football Coach.